In the last few years numerous global social movements and political protests, many of which are ongoing, have brought inequities and systematic violence into the foreground of public discourse. These upheavals have focused specifically on wealth inequality and the ways in which it reinforces tyrannical rulers and oppressive regimes, and erodes democracy, public wellbeing, and environmental stewardship. In the United States of America, our current system of government, social structures, and cultural values continue to uphold inequitable power dynamics and extreme wealth disparities, and ignore the looming climate catastrophe. The upcoming U.S. presidential election already impacts our public discourse, and will undoubtedly deeply affect our future reality.
Throughout our 2021 programmatic theme, Revolution, SFAI will support research, artworks, and creative actions that use artistic imagination to provide sites of resistance, instances of engagement, and solidarity with transformational movements. We seek proposals that aim to revolutionize the status quo and which are bolstered by creative insurrection, utopian imagination, and an expansive agency wherein everyone – across a range of ethnicities, nationalities, gender identities, and abilities – has the power to shape reality.
We ask how our art and creative tactics can:
- Reimagine the praxis, grammar, and aesthetics of entrenched and failing systems;
- Radically shift collective perceptions and lived reality to build capacity for self‑determination for all peoples; and
- Catalyze and support radical and profound social, political, environmental, and cultural change that is sustained, intergenerational, inclusive, and liberatory.
April 1, 2020, 11:59PM
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION DUE
April 8, 2020, 11:59PM
$35 Application Fee
All of our residencies are offered free of charge to awarded residents.
If you are a current citizen of Argentina and are experiencing financial hardship due to the new charge placed on overseas purchases, please email SFAI Residency Director, Toni Gentilli, at firstname.lastname@example.org about having the $35 application fee waived.
The Santa Fe Art Institute (SFAI) welcomes local, national, and international applicants of all backgrounds. SFAI is especially committed to supporting marginalized and underrepresented artists, including Indigenous, Black, artists of color, disabled, LGBTQ+, women, and immigrant artists.
- Applicants must be 25 years or older.
- SFAI accepts applications from Individuals, Collaborations, and Families.
- Collaborations: Collaborations are between two people. Preference is given to collaborators with a history of successfully working together, but new Collaborations will be considered. Only one application is required per Collaboration and applications must reflect the work of both members.
- Families: Families are integrated into the annual International Thematic Residency, in July only.The Family Residency is for just one month each year, in July only. Applicants who are not parents / guardians of a child are not eligible for this program. Parent-artists are welcome to bring one or two children between the ages of 2 and 17 with them to the July Family Residency.
For the July Family Residency, we only accept applications from Individual parent-artists and Collaborations between parent-artists who are partners / spouses. This means either:
1) Only one parent / guardian is an artist and applies for a residency as an Individual, and their spouse / partner and up to two children can accompany them. OR 2) Both parents / guardians are artists who work together on a mutual project, apply for a joint residency and they can bring up to two children with them.
- Disciplines: Our International Thematic Residency Program is open to all artistic disciplines (e.g., visual arts, writing, performance, new media, etc.) and other creative practices including, but not limited to, curation, design, architecture, and education. We strongly encourage applicants with interdisciplinary and non-traditional creative practices.
- Education / Training: We do not require any particular level of education or training to apply. Our residency program is open to emerging, mid-career, and established artists and creative practitioners who have a dedicated studio practice and professional demeanor.
- Accessibility: SFAI is committed to accessibility as an integral aspect of both diversity and inclusivity, in all that we do. Read more about our commitment to Accessibility here.