Houston Arts Alliance (HAA) is a local arts and culture organization whose principle work is to implement the City of Houston’s vision, values, and goals for its arts grantmaking and civic art investments. HAA’s work is conducted through contracts with the City of Houston (COH), overseen by the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs (MOCA). HAA also executes privately funded special projects to meet the needs of the arts community, such as disaster preparation, research on the state of the arts in Houston, and temporary public art projects that energize neighborhoods.
In short, HAA helps artists and arts nonprofits be bold, productive, and strong.
The Civic Art Division services a City of Houston contract to execute the City’s percent for art ordinance, which requires a percentage of certain public construction projects be dedicated to public art commission or acquisitions. The contract also employs HAA in conservation of the City’s nearly 650 works of art. Areas of expertise include public art best practices, project planning, management of public approval processes, art integration into landscape and architecture, neighborhood and community engagement with public art, and contract and budget management.
The Civic Art + Design Assistant provides complex administrative support to the department, including the Director and one Project Manager.
• Detail oriented for effective project management
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities with changing priorities
• Self-motivated to advance projects without micromanagement
• Takes initiative to make process improvements throughout the day
• Ability to quickly learn detailed, public processes with public funding
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
• Ability to work effectively with HAA and COH staff across multiple departments
• Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
• A commitment to HAA’s values, including service, transparency, and integrity
Perform complex administrative support with little to no error, including but not limited to:
o Create, update and maintain filing systems,
o Manage the department calendar,
o Setup meetings, and
o Assist in preparing reports, proposals, and presentations
• Process department invoices, purchase orders, charge forms, and expense reports
• Coordinate and document artist selection panels
• Act as Civic Art Committee recorder, prepare committee meeting agendas and presentations, coordinate meeting set-up, and take meeting minutes
• Assist in the planning and coordination of special events related to civic art and design projects, for example, art unveiling, community outreach, etc. in conjunction with other partners and HAA staff
• Assist in the promotion of projects, calls for artists, and other departmental events
• Assist in preparing reports, proposals, and special presentations
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum bachelor’s degree in fine art, arts administration, business, nonprofit management, or a related field.
2 years of work experience in an office; arts organization experience preferred.
• Dexterity on routine office equipment (copier, telephones, computer, etc.)
• Lifting up to 40 pounds
• Occasional evenings and weekends, as needed
• Personal transportation to drive throughout the greater Houston area
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to Jimmy Castillo, Director of Civic Art + Design, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Civic Art + Design application” in the subject line. Please address the job responsibilities in the application materials. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2019.