City’s Initiative (CI) grants provides one-time funding to City of Houston 501(c)3 arts/cultural nonprofits for new opportunities that (1) are not part of the applicant’s annual budget or regular programming/annual events, and (2) promote cultural tourism. Examples include the opportunity to present an artist or performance that was not included in an annual season or an unanticipated invitation to perform or exhibit (as part of a conference or meeting being held in Houston). Awards are restricted to artistic and marketing costs with $10,000 as the maximum amount awarded.
- Max Award: $10,000
Upcoming Deadlines (subject to change)
- Friday, August 30, 2019, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, November 29, 2019)
- Friday, October 25, 2019, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, January 24, 2020)
- Friday, December 20, 2019, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, March 21, 2020)
- A preliminary meeting is required—at least 48 hours from a City’s Initiative deadline—for organizations looking to make application. To schedule a meeting, email email@example.com.
- All requests for funding must be submitted at least 90 calendar days in advance of the project begin date. Please do not submit an application if your project does not meet this requirement.