The Houston Artadia Fellowship is a pilot program designed to connect Houston’s diverse immigrant and refugee artists with other artists, each other, and the international art world through close collaborations with local partners, critical discourse, exhibition opportunities, and studio visits with renowned curators and artists to support and cultivate artistic excellence. Individual artists who identify as an immigrant or refugee, working in all visual media, at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Fellows are invited to participate in conversations around art practice, sustainability, and the locality of the city’s art scene while simultaneously providing the resources to address needs specific to those communities.
Inaugural Houston Artadia Fellows will receive the following:
- A $2000 unrestricted honorarium
- An introduction to an artist mentor, chosen by Artadia from its pool of Houston-based Artadia Awardees, and the facilitation of a series of meetings catered to the specific needs of each fellow. Meetings will include studio visits, discussion of art work and practices, and introduction to the Houston arts community.
- Presentation of work by fellow and Awardees to the Houston art community, including artists, collectors, dealers, critics, curators and arts professionals.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY:
December 6, 2019
5:00 PM CDT / 6:00 PM EDT
To be eligible to apply for the 2019 Houston Artadia Fellowship, artists must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be an independent artists working in any visual media and at any stage in their career
- Must live within Houston’s Harris County and Contiguous Counties (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller)
- Were born outside of the United States – must have arrived in the United States within the last 5-10 years
- Must speak conversational English
- Have a strong interest/ has been pursuing a career as an artist
- Are interested in familiarizing themselves with the Houston Art Community
- Have not previously received arts funding in the Houston
- Are NOT currently enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program.
Houston Artadia Fellows will be selected through an open application process. Artadia will be working with a number of cultural partners to identify fellows and assist with applications, as well as to provide meeting spaces and exhibition opportunities.
Fall 2019: Open Application Period
December 2019: Application Review
Early January: 4-8 Fellows Selected and Notified
January to June 2019: Fellowship Program (5-6 meetings)
Spring/Summer 2019: Culmination Event
Fill out the application below to have your work considered for the 2020 Houston Artadia Fellowship.
We recommend that you finish the application two days prior to the deadline. We will not be able to accept late applications. Please allow yourself 48 hours to upload images and video. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Houston Artadia Fellowship Application”. We will answer your questions as soon as possible. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Artadia is a national nonprofit organization that identifies innovative visual artists and supports them with unrestricted, merit-based financial awards, and connections to a network of opportunities within local and international art communities. This program is supported by the Houston Endowment.