Together with the Talve-Goodman Family, One Story is happy to open submissions for the Adina Talve-Goodman Fellowship. This educational fellowship offers a year-long mentorship on the craft of fiction writing with One Story magazine. Our hope is to give a writer outside of the fold a significant boost in their career.
The fellow will receive:
- Free tuition for all One Story online classes and programming offered in 2020.
- Travel stipend ($2,000) and tuition to attend One Story’s July 2020 week-long summer writers’ conference in Brooklyn, which includes craft lectures, an in-person intensive fiction workshop, and panels with literary agents and publishers.
- A full manuscript review & consultation with One Story Executive Editor Hannah Tinti (story collection or novel in progress up to 150 pages/35,000 words).
Requirements: This fellowship calls for an early-career writer of fiction who has not yet published a book and is not currently nor has ever been enrolled in an MFA program. We are seeking writers whose work speaks to issues and experiences related to inhabiting bodies of difference. This means writing that explores being in a body marked by difference, oppression, violence, or exclusion; often through categories of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, religion, illness, disability, trauma, migration, displacement, dispossession, or imprisonment. All applicants must be at least 21 years of age as of January 1st, 2020. For complete eligibility details, please visit our FAQ.
Checklist: To apply to this fellowship you will need:
- A fiction writing sample (3,000 – 8,000 words)
- A personal statement (200 – 500 words)
- Two professional references (no recommendation letters but please provide: name, email, phone)
- A current resume (one page detailing any work or educational experience)
- All applications will be received via SlideRoom.
- Applications are open September 16th, 2019 – November 1st, 2019 11:59pm ET.
- The winner of the 2020 Adina Talve-Goodman Fellowship will be publicly announced in January 2020.
There is NO FEE to apply for this fellowship.