Job Title: Special Events Associate
Reports To: Director of Special Events
Classification: Salaried- Exempt
Reporting to the Director of Special Events, the Special Events Associate position is responsible for multiple projects and assisting the Special Events Manager and Director of Special Events with Houston Ballet special events including planning, implementation and execution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned;
- Provide support for Opening Night Onstage Dinner, Ballet Ball/Ball Auction, Raising the Barre as assigned
- Provide support for additional events/receptions including Ball kickoff, Ball underwriter event and other events as assigned
- Manage auction donors and items databases for Ballet Ball and solicit event auction items, sponsorships and donors as needed
- Manage special events calendars and assist with vendor relations for events, print, mail and email
- Manage financial tracking for reservations and budget tracking
- Draft and prepare special events print materials, event literature, letters and proposals as needed
- Provide additional operational support for special events team including:
- Maintain special events files for current, archival and financial tracking
- Track and process invoices, purchase orders and check requests
- Order special events supplies and purchase postage as needed
- Regularly update Houston Ballet website with current information about Special Events
- Maintain relationships with photographers and manage archival photos
- Operate as an integral member of the Development Department
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- A respect for confidentiality
- Ability to collaborate, take initiative and make effective decisions
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Detail oriented
- Experience with Windows based applications including knowledge of database, Internet, spreadsheet, and word processing software (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interpret and follow policies and procedures
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office including Publisher
- Two years’ experience in fundraising/development/special events
- Tessitura experience a significant plus
- Organization/Planning – Develops clearly defined, realistic, measurable objectives that are consistent with the company’s objectives. Organizes personal workload and sets priorities; Uses time efficiently. Meets deadlines consistently.
- Job Knowledge/Compensation – Possesses the skills, knowledge and expertise required to perform the essential aspects of the job as well as any other specific educational and/or certification requirements and have the compensation for your expertise.
- Communication – Communicates effectively in wring and verbally; expresses complex ideas in simple terms. Clearly and concisely expresses in individual or group situations. Comprehends and processes information and responds to communication form others. Communicates, empathizes, uses diplomacy, influences, and gains cooperation. Interacts effectively across functions and levels of the company.
- Flexibility/Adaptability – Ensures the integrity of work. Effectively responds to change. Adjusts to and accepts changes in direction and priorities. Sees changes in the business or work environment, understands implications and adjusts priorities as needed on short notice.
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature
- Bending legs downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Ascending or descending stairs, ramps and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms
- Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
- Regular – Monday – Friday, occasional weekends, significant work time outside the normal business hours
- Light overnight travel (up to 10%) by land and/or air.
Houston Ballet Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex creed, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.