We are absolutely THRILLED to announce that this year’s Winter Holiday Art Market completely blew all other WHAMs out of the ballpark!
WHAM art sales increased this year by 80%!!! Here’s the big picture view:
30K in art sales in 2008
43K in art sales in 2009
78K in art sales in 2010
Spacetaker takes a small portion of sales at WHAM to cover event expenses but 75% of all sales go directly to the artists.
And that’s not all we’re excited to share with you – here’s the even bigger picture view:
By the end of 2010, we’re estimating that Spacetaker’s programs will have generated over $130,000 for over 150 Houston artists and arts organizations*. That’s a 55% increase from what was generated in 2009.
This is huge growth. We couldn’t have done it, however, without the help of some very special people along the way. It seems apropos in this season of giving thanks to take a moment to say who and what we’re grateful for:
• For Houston's immensely diverse and talented artists,
• For Houston's enthusiastic and generous residents and visitors who understand the importance and benefit of supporting local,
• For our Board of Directors,
• For our Artist Advisory Board,
• For our Volunteers (particularly Michael Crowder, who worked his #@s off for us over WHAM weekend, hauling ice, restocking the bars, and helping artists load out their work when the freight elevator broke.),
• For our incredible designer and web guru Anthony Thompson Shumate,
• For our wonderful Sponsors & Supporters,
• For our Fans,
• and for the countless others who’ve helped spread the word about what Spacetaker is doing to find and create opportunities for artists.
As you can see, we had a fabulous 5th WHAM-iversary! If you loved it and want more, or if you didn't get to make it this year, we have exciting news for you -- coming very soon is our very first extension of WHAM...Downtown! WHAM Downtown presented by Amegy Bank takes place during the lunchtime hours of 11am - 2pm December 7th thru 10th at The Shops at Houston Center. Learn more about WHAM Downtown here.
Here's a slideshow of photos from WHAM 2010, taken by Pin Lim of Forest Photography. Check out the entire photo album on our Flickr site.
Many thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
*Clarification: This stat is only counting the events that have generated sales or artist payment…our overall reach includes benefitting hundreds of other artists through our full scope of programming and services.