Fundamental HR/Employment Policies for Organizations
For arts administrators of small to mid-sized nonprofits
Monday, June 2, from 4-6 p.m.
@ Fresh Arts, 2101 Winter Street, #B11, Houston, TX 77007
Bob Lawson, Director of Administration & Education, Theatre Under the Stars
Elaine C. Becraft, Counsel, Labor & Employment, LyondellBasell
Not sure who on your team should receive a 1099 or a W-2? Are you supposed to be paying unemployment taxes? Do you know the rules around interns? Join Bob Lawson, of Theatre Under the Stars, and employment lawyer, Elaine C. Becraft for a crash course in what you need to know and what you didn’t know you didn’t know. This is a great opportunity for administrators to have questions answered by an expert in the field and address some of the unique challenges we all face in keeping our small or mid-size organizations in compliance with HR standards.
- Basic distinctions between 1099/W2 employees, as well as exempt/non-exempt
- How to avoid abusing interns
- Basic options for offering benefits
- Basic reporting for new hires
- Unemployment taxes (when you need to worry about them)
- The advantages and timing of outsourcing, rather than handling HR in house
- Common questions re: employment law
- Basic best practices for interviewing/hiring
- Employee reviews + HR advocate on board of directors for smaller nonprofits (i.e. to provide an additional outlet for reporting HR problems)
- The "Absolute Musts" of any employee handbook (I found a great resource from ADP on this subject)
FEES & REGISTRATION
Registration deadline: midnight, June 1, 2014
Fresh Arts Members: $15
Walk-ins: late registration fees apply
For more information about becoming a Fresh Arts member, visit our Membership page.
This workshop is supported in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS:
Bob Lawson is currently the Director of Administration and Education at Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS). He has held this position since December 2000. In this capacity he oversees many areas of TUTS’ business including Administration, Human Resources, Operations, and Education. From February 1997 to November 2000 he was employed as the Director, Volunteer Services at AIDS Foundation Houston, Inc. (AFH). In this capacity he the management of 365 individuals serving on 10 direct and indirect client service volunteer teams. Prior to his employment at AFH he spent 18 years with the E.I. DuPont de Nemours Company in positions of increasing responsibility managing employees and suppliers. Bob became known as an expert in problem resolution, negotiations, motivation, and financial management. Bob has an extensive background in quality process management including Steven Covey’s “Practical Leadership”. He was one of the recipients of DuPont’s “Excellence Through People” award in 1992. Bob is a cum laude graduate of Niagara University with a BS degree in Business Logistics.