SHARING YOUR VISION:
CREATING A NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION
Monday, July 28
Fresh Arts: 2101 Winter St, Studio B11, Houston, TX 77007
Is a nonprofit the right business model for your vision? What is a charitable organization? Is it right for your purpose? What about fiscal sponsorship? Join attorney Erin Rodgers for a discussion of whether your idea fits within the nonprofit model and how to form a nonprofit corporation in Texas and achieve IRS charitable designation.
• Filing procedures
• Tax exempt organization responsibilities
• Articles of incorporation and bylaws
• Bookkeeping and tax issues
• Organizational meetings
• Board of Directors duties
• A determination if a nonprofit structure the correct business entity for your endeavor
• Next steps on how to file with the Secretary of State and the IRS
• Costs associated with filing for nonprofit status
About The Instructor
Erin Rodgers is a Houston-based attorney with experience in entertainment law, nonprofit law, and intellectual property. Erin is also of counsel at the Law Office of Al Staehely, Jr. Her clients have included musicians, authors, filmmakers, and a variety of nonprofit organizations. Erin has been a featured speaker at the Entertainment Law Institute, Rice University Media Center, DiverseWorks, and RISE Austin, among others. Aside from her law practice, Erin is also a classically trained clarinetist, and has performed with Dave Brubeck and the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra as a vocalist. She currently plays keyboards in Houston band Glass the Sky. Her specialties include entertainment law, copyright, trademark, nonprofit law, and corporate formation.
This clinic is being generously hosted by Fresh Arts.