Submitted by FreshArts on Wed, May 25th at 3:27 pm
Courtesy of Jeremy Wong from Website Builder Expert
What is a domain name? This seems to be such a basic thing, but it’s not always THAT easy especially if you’re a beginner. When we decided to build our first website a few years ago, we had no idea what a domain name was, and what issues we needed consider so we can set things up properly.
We were concerned about privacy, how to connect / disconnect a domain name from a website, if a .com or .net is better, costs, etc.
Are these some concerns you share as well?
Sure, it all sounds very basic to people who have experiences with building websites. But for a beginner, it all can feel a bit uneasy. There are plenty of resources out there telling you in technical terms, what a domain name is. But that’s the problem, it’s a bit more technical and may not always be in plain English that normal people can easily understand. You’re probably not too interested in the technical ins and outs of how a domain name actually works. You’re probably more interested in how to practically manage the domain name, and what potential issues you should be aware of.
This short guide is written to go over the basics of what you need to know about domain names – in plain English.
Let’s get going!
Top 10 Questions About Domain Names
Click on the Questions to the Answer:
- 1. What is a domain name?
- 2. Are domain names and websites separate things?
- 3. Free vs paid domain names.
- 4. Where can I buy a domain name?
- 5. How much does it cost to register a domain name?
- 6. Can I purchase a domain name directly from a website builder?
- 7. Can I transfer my domain name if I change website builders?
- 8. Should I purchase a domain name through a registrar or a website builder?
- 9. Are domain names with .com always preferable?
- 10. Should I protect my personal information with private registration?
- 11. Other Useful Resources
. . . Continue reading the full article on Website Builder Expert