Submitted by FreshArts on Mon, Dec 8th at 6:01 pm
THE PRESENTATION FROM THE WORKSHOP DESCRIBED IS EMBEDDED BELOW.
Get it in Writing!
Understanding & Crafting Contracts
with Emily Watts and attorney Erin Rodgers
May 6, 2014
(For artists, collectives, and nonprofits)
*This workshop hosted at the Dance Source Houston Headquarters, The Barn (formerly Barnevelder).
The Barn, 2201 Preston St, Houston, TX 77003
Are you an artist lending your work to a business for exhibition? Are you a performing arts organization that hires independent artists to perform? Are you renting space for a performance and exhibition? In all these instances, contracts and/or letters of agreement help protect you and your work, as well as prevent misunderstandings and other problems.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED INCLUDE:
- Understanding basic contract language and common clauses (glossary of common legalese)
- Defining correct parties
- Terms and options
- Intellectual property ownership
- Work for hire
- Consideration ( making a contract binding)
- Breach and dispute
- Cure options (how to remedy a breach of contract)
- How do you know when you are breaking a contract
- Combining contracts with Letters of Agreement (LOAs) and riders
- Contract addendums and red-lining
- Recourse upon broken contracts