Submitted by FreshArts on Mon, Dec 1st at 6:21 pm
THE PRESENTATION FROM THE WORKSHOP DESCRIBED IS EMBEDDED BELOW.
Fundamental HR/Employment Policies for Organizations
For arts administrators of small to mid-sized nonprofits
Monday, June 2, from 4-6 p.m.
@ Fresh Arts, 2101 Winter Street, #B11, Houston, TX 77007
Bob Lawson, Director of Administration & Education, Theatre Under the Stars
Elaine C. Becraft, Counsel, Labor & Employment, LyondellBasell
Not sure who on your team should receive a 1099 or a W-2? Are you supposed to be paying unemployment taxes? Do you know the rules around interns? Join Bob Lawson, of Theatre Under the Stars, and employment lawyer, Elaine C. Becraft for a crash course in what you need to know and what you didn’t know you didn’t know. This is a great opportunity for administrators to have questions answered by an expert in the field and address some of the unique challenges we all face in keeping our small or mid-size organizations in compliance with HR standards.
- Basic distinctions between 1099/W2 employees, as well as exempt/non-exempt
- How to avoid abusing interns
- Basic options for offering benefits
- Basic reporting for new hires
- Unemployment taxes (when you need to worry about them)
- The advantages and timing of outsourcing, rather than handling HR in house
- Common questions re: employment law
- Basic best practices for interviewing/hiring
- Employee reviews + HR advocate on board of directors for smaller nonprofits (i.e. to provide an additional outlet for reporting HR problems)
- The "Absolute Musts" of any employee handbook (great resources from ADP on this subject)