Job Title: Assistant Conductor
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt from overtime
The Houston Symphony Assistant Conductor is responsible for rehearsing and conducting education, outreach and community concerts, rehearsing and conducting other performances as assigned, serving as cover conductor for rehearsals and performances as assigned by the Music Director, and acting as representative of the Houston Symphony during other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
• Serve as cover conductor for at least 18 weeks of Classical subscription concerts plus summer concerts and tours, as well as other concert programs as assigned. This includes personal preparation of all scores and providing written and verbal feedback on artistic matters relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.). May be asked to conduct off stage ensembles or serve as score reader for supertitles or other production needs.
• Assist Music Director with auditions, recordings, research and other duties as specified. Attendance at all rehearsals and concerts of music director.
• Work with Artistic Administrator and other Houston Symphony artistic and education staff members as needed to develop programs including but not limited to Education, Community and Family concerts, Pops programs, Miller Outdoor Theater, corporate concerts, sold services, and additional programming as required. Rehearse and conduct these programs, including delivering memorized text. The ability to write and deliver comments clearly and effectively from the stage for various concert formats/services is essential.
• Attend various concert and non-concert events representing the Houston Symphony. Participate as directed in planning meetings, media events, fundraising activities, speaking engagements, educational and outreach opportunities, development meetings and activities, administrative meetings and other activities as determined and identified by the Houston Symphony Society.
• Possess broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and programming, as well as a deep appreciation for, understanding of, and sensitivity to the needs of professional musicians.
• Perform additional duties as required by the Music Director and/or Houston Symphony Society.
• Bachelor’s degree in conducting or related music field required.
• Master’s level or higher preferred.
• Must have experience conducting a professional orchestra.
• Broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and programming.
• Fluent and articulate in English and able to communicate effectively to musicians, staff, and a wide range of audience members.
• Year-round residency in Houston required.
• Auditions will take place Monday and Tuesday, January 8-9, 2018 at Jones Hall, Houston.
The audition process will consist of:
• Preparing and conducting the following repertoire with the orchestra:
Debussy Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
Beethoven Symphony No. 5
Brahms Variations on a Theme by Haydn
Strauss Don Juan
Preparing and conducing the following repertoire with string ensemble:
Mozart Divertimento KV 138 (F Major) 1st Movement [No repeat, stop at m. 54]
Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings, 1st Movement [stop at letter H]
Bartok Divertimento for Strings, 1st Movement
• Two weeks prior to the audition, the candidate is asked to submit one education and one community concert program proposal. Candidates will be asked to present a 5-10 minute “concert introduction or commentary” about one of the pieces on their program.
• An interview with the Houston Symphony Music Director and designated members of the orchestra and administrative staff will follow the final audition with orchestra.
Application Deadline & Audition Notification:
• Applications should be received no later than November 15, 2017.
• Candidates invited to audition will be notified by December 1, 2017.
• Selected candidates will be asked to provide a video for consideration. Videos viewable via internet are preferred.
Submit resume only with cover letter to:
Rebecca Zabinski, Artistic Administrator
808 Travis Street, Suite 500
Houston, TX 77002
or e-mail to email@example.com
Mission of the Houston Symphony:
The mission of the Houston Symphony is to inspire and engage a large and diverse audience in Greater Houston and beyond through exceptional orchestral and non-orchestral performances, educational programs and community activities.
By 2025, the Houston Symphony will be America's most relevant and accessible top-ten orchestra.
Core Values of Community Engagement and Education:
Community Engagement: We foster meaningful, respectful and collaborative relationships with our patrons and community members from all walks of life in our large, diverse city.
The Houston Symphony is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Job Title: Assistant Conductor