IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES:
- Deadline for WHAM submissions: August 21, 2013
- Selected participants notified by: September 19, 2013
- Registration form and fees due: October 1, 2013
- Marketing fliers available for pick up (at 2101 Winter Street Studios, Studio B11, 77007): by October 18th, 2013
- WHAM Set-up and Preparation: Friday, November 22, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (This is firm.)
WHAT TYPES OF ARTWORK OR CRAFTS MAY BE SOLD AT WHAM?
- Any type of original artwork or craft may be submitted for consideration by the jury. In the past, items available for purchase have included all forms of fine art, sculpture, stationery, soaps, handbags, clothing, ornaments, jewelry, and other goods.
WHEN DO I SUBMIT MY WORK FOR CONSIDERATION?
- WHAM 2013 Call for Submissions will open June 24, 2013
- Submission deadline is August 21, 2013 (8 weeks total)
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY WORK FOR CONSIDERATION?
- You will need a free account on spacetaker.org, a profile, and 4 images exemplary of your work.
Visit our Application page.
WHO JURIES THE WINTER HOLIDAY ART MARKET?
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PARTICIPATE IN WHAM, WHAT DOES THE FEE INCLUDE, AND WHAT PERCENTAGE OF MY SALES GO TO FRESH ARTS?
- The participation fee for WHAM is $95, which includes registration, exhibition space, 8-ft table and black linen, 1 chair, and all event management and administration.
- Fresh Arts manages the payment process (accepting credit cards, cash and check payments).
- 75 percent of the selling price goes to the artist, and the remaining 25 percent goes to Fresh Arts to cover remaining event expenses.
- Artists receive a check for the sale of their goods within two weeks of the sale.
WHAT TYPE OF SALES RETURN CAN I EXPECT?
Fresh Arts' aim is to offer a wide array of art, including fine art, crafts, jewelry, etc. at WHAM. The small items are huge sellers (particularly in tough economic times), but we also value higher-end work. Ideally, we strive to have a balance of each.
Over the past few years, the average sale was $45, but there was a healthy distribution of small, inexpensive and high-end items. On the whole, those who were most successful at WHAM offered a wide variety of price points. On average, the 20 top sellers were pretty evenly distributed between painting, prints, fabric arts, and pottery/glass, and jewelry.
The average total that artists made at WHAM 2012 was $1,320 with 19 artists selling over $1,000, 9 artists selling over $2,000, and 2 artists selling over $3,000.
The average total that artists made at WHAM 2011 was $1,188 with 33 artists selling over $1,000, 9 artists selling over $2,000, 3 artists selling over $3,000, and 1 artist selling over $4,000.
The average total that artists made at WHAM 2010 was $1,111 with 19 artists selling over $1,000, and 2 artists selling over $2,000.
The average total that artists made at WHAM 2009 was $778 -- with 17 artists selling over $1,000, and 3 artists selling over $2,000.
SPACE & MATERIALS:
- Each participating artist receives one 8'x 30" table, linens, 1 chair, and sales receipt books.
- For consistency and aesthetic purposes, artists must use the tables, linens, and chairs provided by Fresh Arts.
- Additional embellishments are allowed for display purposes, but are the responsibility of the artist and must conform to the allotted space.
- Artists can use the wall space behind their table(s) to hang artwork.
- Depending on availability, WHAM artists may purchase an additional table and space for $50.
- There is a fee of $95 for registration, event management, and rentals/supplies.
- Artists receive 75% of selling price, while 25% goes to Fresh Arts to cover remaining event costs.
PROVIDED BY ARTIST VENDOR:
- Each vendor must provide his or her own sales staff and display, hanging, and packing materials.
ALSO PROVIDED BY FRESH ARTS:
- Each artist will receive marketing fliers and an email invitation to be mailed/distributed at least 4 weeks prior to the event.
- Fresh Arts manages all marketing, media relations, and advertising for WHAM, however, it is essential that each artist spreads the word to his/her own client list.
- Complimentary beverages are provided throughout the weekend and local food vendors will have items for sale.
- Artists will have the option to perform live demonstrations throughout the weekend at their tables. Please indicate upon REGISTRATION if you are interested in demonstration and notate any space/power/special requirements.
- Friday, November 22nd, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 23rd, 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 24th, 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Artists or other representatives are expected to be at their tables during all WHAM hours.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 713.868.1839 | Winter Street Studios | 2101 Winter Street, Studio B11 | Houston, TX 77007
SALES, PAYMENT, & RELEASE:
- All artist sales will be covered by Fresh Arts' sales permit (therefore, artists who might not already have a sales permit need not get their own).
- All sales are made thought the central check out area. No exceptions.
- Accepted forms of payment: cash, check, American Express, MC and Visa
- Artists will receive payment from their sales within 2 weeks of the sale
- The 3% fee on any credit card transaction is subject to the same 75/25% split between the selling artist and Fresh Arts.
- All artists must sign a liability release form to participate in WHAM.
- Fresh Arts takes care of paying the sales tax for WHAM; however artists must be responsible for claiming their sales on their income tax statements.
* Fresh Arts refers to the organization created from the merging of Spacetaker and Fresh Arts Coalition in 2012.